Honouring the past and building a new future
Don’t let our organisation’s name deter you!
We are here for all women and families united by Defence Service. We are embarking on the biggest change we have ever made in our 75-year history. Now that we have removed the barriers to our membership, we will be an organisation that unites generations as it supports and advocates for the needs of all within our community. We will be an organisation for veterans and their families, built by veterans and their families.
- Access a growing and diversifying program of services
- Have your voice heard by government and key stakeholders
- Find a growing community of those with like experiences
- Board Directorship opportunities available
- Access to events
- Contribute to building a new organisation that represents your interests and meets your needs.
WHO CAN JOIN?
Any individual can become a member of our wonderful and unique organisation, provided they are:
- a War Widow
- a person who identifies as family of a past or current member of the Australian Defence Force
- a person who identifies as family of a past or current member of an allied defence force
- a person who is a past or current member of the Australian Defence Force
- a person who is a past or current member of an allied defence force; or a person who, in the opinion of the Board, is supportive of the objects of the company.
We are an inclusive organisation who defines family in a broad manner. A family member of a veteran may include;
- current or former spouses/ partners of veterans
- biological or stepparents of veterans
- biological/step/adopted grandparents of veterans
- biological/ step/ adopted children of veterans; and/ or
- biological/step/adopted siblings of veterans.
Anyone who falls within one of these categories can now become a member of AWW NSW and receive our support and services.
AWW NSW has achieved significant improvements in the assistance provided to members through its advocacy over the years. A wide range of benefits and concessions have been achieved. The organisation advocates on behalf of members and the veteran community to the Commonwealth, NSW and local governments and to other organisations. War Widows NSW’s officials also participate in several consultative forums on behalf of members.
We offer friendship to members through:
- Guild and Social clubs throughout Sydney and regional areas
- Friendship Line – member volunteers speak to fellow members in regional areas, or those who are housebound or unwell
- Trips and excursions through the Clubs
- Hospital visiting
- Transport assistance which helps members access our activities if they cannot use public transport
- Special Interest Groups
Our annual membership subscription is just $30.00. This money goes straight back into the delivery of services and support for all members, including the development of new services that meet emerging needs.
Life members (who have been a member of our organisation for 50 years or more) and Past State Presidents do not pay a fee.
Download and complete the Membership Renewal form, and return, with your membership payment to:
Australian War Widows NSW Ltd
Suite 1.01, Level 1, 9 Help Street, CHATSWOOD NSW 2067
Alternatively, you can call us on 02 9267 6577 or 1800 451 615 (Country) to renew your membership over the phone.