1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Services
  4.  » 
  5. Ready Reference Guide
  6.  » Community and Residential Aged Care Services



My Aged Care coordinates all aged care services, except Veterans Home Care (VHC). Depending on your needs, a referral may be sent to the Commonwealth Home Support Program, Regional Assessment Service or the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). If the appropriate level of service is not available, you may be placed on a waitlist. A lower level of service may be offered as a short term option.

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) ACAT may recommend that you accept a Home Care Package. There are several different levels of home care packages and people with the highest need will be offered services first. ACAT can help you locate a suitable service provider and provide information regarding their fees, days and hours of service, cultural or other specialised services, and if services are currently available. An ACAT assessment may be done in hospital, if required.

If you need to move into residential aged care, an ACAT assessment is required. All aged care facilities charge each resident a basic daily fee, with an additional means-tested care fee payable depending on your income and assets and any extra services offered. It is recommended that you seek independent financial advice to review any residential care contract. To organise an ACAT assessment contact My Aged Care via www.myagedcare.gov.au or tel 1800 200 422.

Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) provides additional low level services, for example, community transport, meals on wheels and social activities. Services provided under the CHSP program have a different fee structure to VHC.

Regional Assessment Service (RAS) An assessor will visit your home to design a support plan that reflects your needs, goals and preferences. The assessor works with you to decide which service provider/s you prefer. RAS may also recommend an Aged Care Assessment.

If you have a complaint or concern about any aged care service or care subsidised by the Australian Government, contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner. They provide a free service and can support you with information and options to resolve your concern with the service provider, tel 1800 550 552. Seniors Rights Service, tel 1800 424 079 can also assist.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This