The AWWNSW team is leaving nothing and no one behind as we make our way through Sydney for this year’s biggest fun run, the City2Surf, in support of veterans’ families!
The Change Makers will run/walk the City2Surf to raise funds for AWWNSW. It is also an opportunity for us to represent veterans’ families, plus for the community to join or support us.
Funds raised go directly to delivering AWWNSW programs and services which include:
- Veteran family peer groups
- Wellbeing programs
- Social work services
- Strategic advocacy
Show Your Support – 4 Ways to Get Involved
There are many ways for people within the Australian and veteran community to get involved before or on the day and show their support.
- Donate now to support our team
- Run or walk 14km of City2Surf with the Change Makers – register here.
- Come and support us on the day
- Share this information and our donation page with as many as possible.
Social & Digital Media
Share with your friends or follows. AWWNSW social media handles:
Facebook – @AAWW NSW
Instagram – @aww_nsw
Twitter – @awwnsw
Linkedin – @AWWW NSW
Hashtags: #city2surf2023 #awwnsw #letsmakechangetogether #veteransfamilies
Frequently Asked Questions
What difference will my donation make? Our programs cost around $1 million per year to deliver. With your help, we can not only continue what we do now but ensure we can connect, support and serve more veteran families.
Are donations tax deductible? Yes, anything over $2 is tax-deductible as AWWNSW is a registered charity with DGR status.
How do we recognise the team on the day? All participating Change Makers will be provided with a free AWWNSW t-shirt on the day.
Is there a fee to register to join the team? Unfortunately, there is a fee that we cannot cover as it is charged by City2Surf. We are raising funds to cover this cost.
What category do I register in? Currently, the only wave available is the “Orange Wave”. Everyone knows the back of the pack is where the party is at! This group is for joggers, fun groups, families, disco partiers, walkers, pushed wheelchairs and runners with prams. We have runners, walkers, dancers… the sky is our limit!
I can’t run – is that okay?
Not all of us can, the City 2 Surf offers multiple options for people of all abilities to get involved. Again, walk it, run it, dance it! It’s all about the fun!
About Veterans’ Families
- Veterans’ families & War Widows have been part of the fabric of Australia, making valuable contributions to the our community for more than 100 years.
- There are more than 15,000 war widows in NSW and more than 40,000 nationally. While it is more difficult to identify the numbers of Australian veteran families, we know that 1 in 5 Australian households contain a veteran. The number is significant.
- While definitions of war widows and the life of veterans’ families have changed over time, one thing hasn’t – and that is their sacrifices.
- With AWW, War widows have created a community that has helped so many – offering support, guidance and a group to lean on in times of need. This support has now extended to all veterans’ families, regardless of their relationship status nor the status of their veterans.